The Lib Dems believe mental health should not be ignored or stigmatised. It should be taken as seriously as physical health.
We are using £400 million to help people with mental health problems get the right support early on, such as talking or psychological therapies. We are also introducing waiting limits, so people will know for the first time how long they have to wait for mental health treatment.
Our new mental health action plan sets out our priorities for essential change in mental health, including:
- Crisis Care Concordat: Making sure no one experiencing mental health crisis is ever turned away from services.
- Choice in Mental Health: Giving people the same choice for their mental healthcare as they do for their physical health.
- Liaison and Diversion: Committed £25m for a scheme that identifies health issues offenders when they enter the criminal justice system.
- Restraint: Investing £1.2m in staff training in order to reduce harmful restrictive practices.
- IAPT: Investing over £400m to give thousands of people access to evidence-based psychological therapies.
- Children's mental health: Investing £54m in order to improve access to mental health care for children.
- Time to Change: Funding the Time to Change campaign, which challenges mental health stigma and discrimination.
Help us stamp out mental health stigma
Research shows that one in four people will suffer from mental health problems at some point in their lives, however there is still stigma and discrimination surrounding mental health.
Stephen Williams MP and the Liberal Democrats believe that mental health should never be ignored or stigmatised. That's why we are committed to improving mental health services in the UK.
Back our campaign to help us stamp out the stigma attached to mental health by signing up below.